Friday, January 9, 2009

Weekend Recipe

The weekend is upon us and I cannot emphasize enough how over the moon, ecstatic, giddy- like-a-school- girl I am that I have NOTHING on the docket. This is how I know I am getting old. There was a time, not too long ago, when I was in a full blown panic if Wednesday dawned and I didn't have, at LEAST, a fete of some sort lined up for Friday night. This had NOTHING to do with being single. I didn't NEED a date, though I wouldn't have given one the shove off if it presented itself. I just needed something scheduled. As I have morphed into this mid-30's young professional, I actually look forward to weekends of nothing.

I'm not a wet blanket. I love to have a good time. I'm a proverbial Party in a Box, if you will. But I no longer feel this overwhelming desire to have just SOMETHING lined up so, GASP, I don't spend my Friday night alone. At home. On my couch. I also don't feel compelled to make excuses for my Friday Nights of Solitude. I tell folks outright when they inquire that I am going home to do NOTHING...ON PURPOSE.

So, as the 5 pm bell grows ever near, here are a few items which I feel are the best ingredients for a cozy weekend. If you can find a way to work in a good snow storm or a thunderstorm, even better. If not, close the blinds and get one of those environmental CDs with a rain and thunderstorm selection.

  • One plush couch complete with plush throws to match (chenille or cashmere are preferred, but a fleece one will do fine)
  • Medium to large sized throw pillows (nothing too bulky, just enough pillow to give some cushion)
  • Rented Movies (I'm going to pick up Sex and the City this weekend since I have never seen it and I will balance it out with a good, classic, black and white flick, perhaps Casablanca.)
  • A stocked kitchen - this is essential. In order to reach optimal coziness, you can't run the risk of having to LEAVE your enclave to go get something to eat or drink. Delivered food is fine if you must, but a run to the store totally ruins the cozy vibe. An annoying interruption, if nothing else; like the phone ringing just as you're about to have an amazing kiss. An assorted variety of food and drink is the best laid plan because once you're hunkered down you want to be able to fulfill any craving that may ensue. A good balance of comfort foods that are both savory and sweet will likely get you through any episode. I like to cook so I keep ingredients in addition to, say, Stouffer's Mac & Cheese (the grand patriarch of comfort food). I want to be able to cook if the spirit moves me but I don't want to be committed. I make sure I have both options readily available. Foods that emit an enticing aroma when heated are also a great bonus. I wouldn't suggest you kick off your cozy weekend by throwing a simmering pot of cabbage on the range.
  • Scented candle(s) - this is a matter of taste in terms of scent, but you gotta have scented candles. Vanilla candles make me gag, but lots of people love 'em. I prefer rustic scents in the Autumn and Winter and then break out the Lavender, etc. in Spring and Summer. Thymes candles are the best in the world, in my opinion, but they are pricey. You can always find your preferred scent at Target or Wal Mart and it should get you through the weekend juuuussst fiiine.
  • Book/Reading Material - I find that a balance of a book and a few favorite magazines is the best way to go, but this is totally a matter of preference. Just make sure you have some.
  • Lounging Attire - not to be confused with Lounge Attire. No need to get all gussied up for your weekend of cozy bliss. Sweats, pjs, pajama pants, long sleeved white t-shirts (I LOVE these for lounging), a fleece, a sweatshirt. And slippers. Don't forget the slippers.
  • Laundry Detergent - sort of a "one of these things is not like the other" ingredient but I love to do laundry on cozy weekends at home. It gives me a small feeling of productivity in the midst of my laziness.
  • Fireplace - I do not have one of these and, as a result, I must admit my cozy has a void. I guess you could say that in some way, I have cozy envy. If you have one and it's cold out, make sure when you stock your kitchen, you stock your firewood inventory.

Mix all of these together in whatever portion and measurement suits your needs and taste. Makes unlimited servings and is high in nutritional value. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I like E Circle Candles. They smell great. You should try them, if you haven't!

    ReplyDelete