Monday, January 5, 2009

The First Last


It may be evident from my lack of postings that my holidays brought no shortage of fun and activity. The past two weeks have been a festive ride of parties, travel, gatherings, family time, and a few milestones. 2009 only waited a few hours before bringing some historic moments; moments which generated more emotion for me than I had fore casted.


I spent my final New Year's Eve in Waco, Texas. For most red blooded Americans with even a slight appreciation for a good time, that would elicit a collective sigh of relief. For me, it was definitely a large book end; the closing of a chapter with a very loud, "THUMP". Over the years, I have become a firm believer that New Year's Eve is most memorable not because of WHERE it is spent but because of WITH WHOM it is spent. After several failed attempts to have huge, history making, blow-out bashes on December 31st, I finally succumbed to the notion that New Year's Eve should be spent doing what you like best with the folks you like best; never mind the location. I am glad I finally resigned myself to this way of thinking because this year was no different. New Year's Eve 2008 will leave an indelible mark.

January 1 tends to be characterized by a series of unsuccessful recovery methods coupled with a large vat of black eyed peas. I eventually made it to that step but not before seeing off The FIRST Couple for the LAST time. I think somewhere in the back of my mind I knew that this event would conjure up a sentimental reaction, but I think I felt I was prepared. I had already had my last White House visit, my last White House Christmas party, my last picture taken with the President and Mrs. Bush, my last mug of Presidential egg nog, you get the idea. I was already comfortable with the idea of "last". I was a pro when it came to "last". Embarking on your "last" venture? I'm your gal. I've done "last". Nothing, however, could have prepared me for the onslaught of emotion I experienced watching the last departure of Air Force One out of Waco, Texas.

Waco...it generally brings to mind images of a burning compound and a large university that only until recently condoned dancing. I get it. I admit I didn't have an instantaneous mental mesh of Waco and the Presidential seal in the dawning of 2001. Over time, however, Waco began to fill a number of voids for me and, as a result, became a bit of a comfort. Most recently, it has provided me with a fool proof outlet to see my closest friends; those people who I have described as my extended family.

Watching the Plane depart from Texas for the last time wasn't a political event. It was a personal moment; one that will also leave an indelible mark.






No comments:

Post a Comment