Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Justice, Faith, and Power



Today is Mardi Gras and as a native of New Orleans, this holiday always makes me nostalgic. I don't miss living in New Orleans. Truth be told, I haven't lived there since I was 18, but it will always be home to me. I think I knew when I left there to go to college summer school in June of 1991 that I would only return as a part-time resident. I knew I'd never move back there as an adult. But again, it would always be my home.

I haven't done Mardi Gras as a grown-up so most of what I think of when I think of Mardi Gras is how exciting it was. All of it. From the Epiphany until Fat Tuesday, it was all so exciting. See, Mardi Gras is not just the day, "Fat Tuesday". Fat Tuesday is the culmination of the season of Mardi Gras and the last big blow-out affair before Lent. Yes, Mardi Gras is, in nature, a religious holiday. Who knew? As a child, having your neighborhoods and thoroughfares turned into parade routes was almost magical. Having the very streets you drove down to get to school in the morning turned into a mall of floats and bands and flambeaux that same night was such a thrill. And let's not overlook the fact that schools in NOLA got the entire week of Mardi Gras off. You got your two days for Thanksgiving. Then there were your two and HALF days for Easter. And a full week for Mardi Gras.

I think what I loved most about Mardi Gras is that it enveloped every inch of New Orleans. Unlike Jazz Fest, it wasn't confined to a specific area. There weren't access points or admission fees or gates. It's called the "Greatest Free Show On Earth" because it is just that. Every pocket of the city does Mardi Gras in their own way. There is a place for everyone at Mardi Gras. For me, it was St. Charles Avenue from Napoleon to the numbered streets of the Garden District. It was also the stands at The Pickwick Club on the corner of St. Charles and Canal downtown. These were two different ways to see Mardi Gras but they were steeped in tradition and I loved them.

Another tradition of Mardi Gras that I loved (and I think I speak for all daughters of the Big Easy) was the theme of "royalty" of the balls and krewes. I loved to read about the queens and maids of the Mardi Gras season and what they wore and who made their dresses and what they danced to. It made my home unique and it made it special. And it was fun. I guess that's the simple thread of Mardi Gras; it's fun.

Justice, Faith, and Power are the colors of Mardi Gras. These colors and their meaning stand out this year more than they have in the past. Given the state of world affairs today and the challenges we face here at home it is my hope that Justice, Faith, and Power not only reign today in New Orleans, Louisiana, but throughout the years to come in the remaining 49.

No comments:

Post a Comment