Monday, February 2, 2009

Broken Hip

I am the most unhip person in America. When it comes to any and all things pop culture, you'd think I was part of Tom Brokaw's Greatest Generation. Honest to God, be it technology, fashion, or Hollywood, I am so behind the curve it's embarrassing. My friends buy US Weekly and In Style magazines. I buy Coastal Living and Real Simple. My friends save up for iPhones. I save up for a Le Creuset. Need more proof? I didn't own a DVD player until almost a year ago...and the one I DO own is the bottom of the line model sold at Target. Still not convinced? From 1997 until 2007 the only t.v. I owned was a small 19 inch with built in VCR. The big "upgrade" for me came in the summer of 2007 when I added a larger, flat screen, bought second hand from a former co-worker. For the record, I still own the 19 inch. It resides in my bedroom.

Instead of Hollywood drama, I'm running down the top appointments of the new administration in Washington. I wait for Cabinet picks the way the rest of savvy, celebrity obsessed, America waits for the Oscar nominations. I read WSJ Editorials and the Washington Post instead of Perez and TMZ. MTV Cribs? No thanks, I want to know who has what office in the West Wing.

When it comes to fashion, this may be my greatest downfall. I'm not on the cutting edge of fashion. Never have been, probably never will be. No one would EVER accuse me of being a slave to fashion. I love Ann Taylor. I love Cole Haan. I love Anthropologie. I love J. Crew. Now, this isn't like shopping at Laura Ashley or Units, but it's not exactly a set of names you see splattered all over NYC during Fashion Week. I'm willing to bet my collection of sweater sets that there's no dialogue like this overheard in Fashion District in NYC in September:

"I'm heading to the Diane von Furstenberg show. You?"

"I'm on my to the Ann Taylor show. I hear she's out down herself this year with sundresses and double strands of pearls".

I love clothes and I think I have fairly decent taste, but I could never tell you what's "in" this season. I'm not a runway girl. Most designers' names escape me. The ones that do sound familiar are way out of my price range so I automatically dump them into my mental "junk mail". Trendy I am not.

Clearly my desire to be hip is not all THAT great because I am surrounded by hip people. My friends and family are probably in the top percentage in terms of being pop-culturally astute. At least I know I don't have to go far if I decide to have a hip replacement.

No comments:

Post a Comment