Thursday, March 5, 2009

Single Yet Not Alone

Single and alone are two very different states of being. I am very much single and very much NOT alone. Conversely, and I don't want to cast an ominous shadow on couples, I know a number of people who are not by census standards "single" but are, sadly, alone.

Last weekend I had to go to New Orleans, my home, to move a fair amount of furniture out of storage. I'll blame my procrastination on being a late bloomer. For me it was a daunting task and one which required me to lean on others; a skill I need to do a lot to perfect. Two months ago, I was able to enlist a very generous friend in aiding me in this transport. He had three key requirements: 1) he is a friend 2) he is a male 3) he has a truck. The original plan was to suck it up, make the five hour drive, unload the furniture, secure it in his truck, suck it up, and drive back.

As I have mentioned several times in various postings, I am extremely lucky to have a uniquely close group of friends. I think there are several reasons for this rare bond, but the biggest reason is that we have been through some rare and very emotional experiences together. We are, as a result, more like family. We have seen each other at our absolute best and at our absolute worst. We know each other's victories, defeats, strong suits, and shortcomings. We are beyond comfortable around each and we look after each other like siblings. And like family, we have stuck together and weathered all of the peaks and pitfalls life has thrown at us. I've given up on trying to explain my friendships to those who ask and most people have just quit asking. They know that this is my crew and that this is how we roll.

Make no mistake; these friends do not replace my family. My family is incredibly supportive and as a result, Operation Armoire was made that much easier. They put me up on both legs of the trip and even kept Thomas, my pooch, for three whole days. I couldn't have planned my trip without them.

When it was all said and done, approximately 17 of us descended upon New Orleans and turned an otherwise stale and laborious venture into a weekend of historic measure. It was an excellent chance to reconnect with old friends, hang out with some new folks, and just "be" for a while. I think we were actually our own economic stimulus for the city...with a pulse...go figure. I need to give a shout out to my sister, Lilah, and brother in law, John for making this trip and adding a special brand of fun for me. They are my family AND my friends so it was a definite two for one. Let me also say that the group was NOT fully complete without the presence of three of my closest friends, Rachael and Georgia and Heather. For unavoidable reasons, they could not make the trip but they were missed dearly.

In the midst of all of this kumbaya was an underlying sense of uncertainty for everyone who traveled to NOLA last weekend. Everyone is sweating the times for their own personal reasons but as a group who was conquered hard times before, it was the perfect escape and reunion all rolled into one.

The City That Care Forgot was the perfect venue to allow this crew to forget to care, if only for a few days.

Note: It is unlikely this is the last entry detailing the trip. There are pictures to be imported and some residual thoughts to compile. In short, prepare for a few volumes regarding Operation Armoire.

No comments:

Post a Comment