Friday, February 6, 2009

The White House

GOTCHA! You saw the title and started eye rolling and sighing because you thought this was going to be yet another love-fest, warm-fuzzy piece about my time at 1600 with the Bushes. Wrong-o. It's not. But a somewhat funny prank, nevertheless.

This actually popped into my head yesterday when I was at home for lunch. I find that I am constantly captivated by houses that are decorated in all white. If not the entire house, than a specific room dedicated entirely to the absence of color. White linen roman shades, white slip covers, white lamps and lamp shades. I think it takes a disciplined and committed decorator to make the decision to create a white room and not stray. See, I would run around on white because I cannot resist color.

Each time I move to a new place, I tell myself that I am going to give color the ol' heave -ho in at least one room. And every time, I go right back to color swatches. Once a cheater, always a cheater, I guess.

As you can see here, I made a strong effort to whiten by bedroom, but in the end, "accents of color", as they are called in the sophisticated world of decorating, crept in and spoiled my pristine canvass:






Even when adopting a rescue puppy, I couldn't go all white. My dog had to have a splash of cream next to his otherwise white coat.

My living room never had a fighting chance. See below for a prism of shades and hues:


If nothing else, my love for color and vibrancy proves that I do NOT see the world in only black...or white.











































































No comments:

Post a Comment