Thursday, February 5, 2009

8 Million of My Closest Friends

Here's a new one for ya': I think New York City would be a cozy place to live. That's right. Nothing says cozy to me like 8 million plus people crammed onto 300 or so square miles. Such a peculiar impression of NYC. I don't think many, if any, would tell you they'd feel cozy in a city that never sleeps. For me, though, it's the character NYC has that gives it a cozy feel combined with the idea of having my own little refuge in the middle of all the chaos. For the small space obsessed, there's no better place to find a piece of minuscule real estate than New York. What a dichotomy it is; a city where everything is larger than life and in-your-face-BIG, the vast majority of residential space is tiny. With an enormous price tag, of course. But it's cozy to me to be able to retreat to a tiny slab and escape the constant barrage of people and noise. Sort of a port in a storm, if you will.



The character bestowed upon New York City is a big contributor to this coziness I feel when I am there. Take, for instance, grocery shopping. (There I go again with groceries.) Manhattan is not a city of strip malls. When I think of shopping for food in New York, I picture myself not so much at Zabar's, but in a corner market or "bodega" if you're attempting to go native. I love these places and I love that most trips to the "bodega" are not hour long, sprees of bulk purchases. Being a hugely pedestrian city, you can't double park your mini van on Columbus while the grocery porter loads your car with a month's supply of groceries. In New York, it's a totally different game. It's an appealing idea; popping into the corner deli/market on your way home from work and grabbing whatever it is you're craving for dinner and then taking it up to your sixth floor walk-up. Equally appealing is having groceries delivered to your front door. A self-proclaimed shut-in, I feel this is a service that should be taking the country by storm. I love that in New York you can have just about anything delivered at any time of day. No need to leave the apartment if you don't want to. Heaven, I tell you.





The historic nature of New York makes it cozy. Pre-war buildings and subway tiles are just two of my favorite examples. New York is an epicenter of the progressive and yet, hasn't forgotten from whence it came. I love that contrast.



Some will argue that I am romanticizing New York a bit; that it's a very hard and exhausting and insanely expensive place to live. Perhaps. But I've found that life is a trade-off and I don't think NYC would be any different. It all depends on what you're willing to sacrifice in the name of feeling comfortable and content and, yes, cozy, in your surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment