Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Pajama Pants: Not Just for Bedtime Anymore

I was packing for my trip to the beach and as I stocked up my "loungewear", I started thinking about the evolution of the pajama pants. (Yes, I know this sounds like a Creative Writing 101 topic.)

The pajama pants have not always had a stand-alone identity. When the footie pajama peeked complete with footies and back flap, there was no separation of pant and top. When the pajama set rose to popularity, there was no mixing or matching and there was definitely not the option to buy one without the other. We wore sets of pajamas...flannel, silk, and has a child, who could forget the Chinese pajamas? I don't have children, but I'm curious to know if Chinese pajamas can still be referred to as such or are they now Asian pajamas? Just sayin'...

It appears that the pajama pants have broken off from the band and gone single. Like Sting did from The Police. Like Phil Collins did from Genesis. The dress code for pajama pants is much more lax than it used to be. I remember wearing pajamas (the set) to bed and if I was sick. And that was it. I didn't come home from school and change out of my Catholic school girl uniform and into a pair of pjs. Those were reserved for sleeping.

Now, all I can say is, God bless the stand-alone pajama pants. I love that when I shop on-line, they have their own category and I'm not committed to the pajama top AND the pajama bottom. While I have yet to bust out in public with them on, it is good to know that they are a fairly acceptable means of attire. I'm not going to get tossed out of my local grocer for cruising for produce in pajama pants.

When it comes down to settling in for a cozy night or weekend in your abode, there's nothing better than pajama pants. I don't know what it is about them, but for me, they are rising to prominence similar to that of the black pants...you can't have too many pairs.

1 comment: