Tuesday, May 26, 2009

It's Not What You Know, It's WHO You Know...

Whether you are immersed in politics or just vaguely familiar with the good, the bad, and the ugly of it, the adage, "It's not what you know, it's WHO you know" likely sounds familiar.
This phrase has more than one dimension and I was reminded of it on two separate occasions over Memorial Day Weekend.

On Saturday, May 23rd, 2009 my close friend, Katie McArthur wed my good friend, Jason Houck in her parents' lush and elegant garden in Tyler, Texas. A little family tree for you; when I relocated to Austin in 1997 to work for then-Governor Bush, little did I know I would meet a guy who would soon become one of my closest friends. David McArthur and I met and worked in "the salt mines" of the Governor's Office in the State Capitol and it was through this strong friendship that I was able to get to know Katie. To this day, I consider David one of my closest friends. Knowing people in politics gets you more than an interview or a job. It gets you a bond with people with whom you will have a long and colorful history. This is better than any amount of face time. Trust me.

As I mentioned in my previous post, one of my best friends, Rachael Duffy nee Sunbarger, was in the neighborhood en route San Diego and decided to stay for a few days. Rachael and I first met on the 2000 Presidential campaign here in Austin and became close friends in DC during our time at The White House and on the road doing advance for the President. On Memorial Day, Rachael, her husband, Major Kevin Duffy USMC, and her mother, Paula invited me on a traditional Austin Memorial Day celebration; boating on Lake Travis. It's a rite of passage, you could say.

We spent a spectacular four hours aboard the Four Winns vessel complete with a cooler of beer, sandwiches, and a professional tour given by our Captain, Paula Snider. The only casualty was a pair of sunglasses belonging to Kevin. I haven't been on the lake since I moved back here and this will go down as one of my best holiday weekends. The Duffies and Rachael's sister and my friend, Susie Sunbarger, closed the chapter on Memorial Day with a dinner overlooking the lake at Iguana Grill. Thanks to Paula and the Duffies for a much needed respite. And thank you to Major Kevin Duffy for your service.

These two special events happening over the same weekend reminded me, once again, that no matter where you are in your life; no matter what hurdle you're currently trying to overcome or what victory you're celebrating, everything is better with your close friends around. I met all of these folks through my time in politics...in some way, we are connected because I made the choice to go into the political arena. I cannot imagine my life had I chosen a different path.

Footnote: Due to the fact that I am WAY behind the times and do not own a camera, I am relying on aforementioned amazing friends to supply me with footage. Once I get back on my financial feet, I plan to "go digital". Until then, I am relying on the kindness of friends to give you a sneak peak. A-hem...

1 comment:

  1. I have completely enjoyed my sneak peek into your interesting life via your blog. Your experiences are so captivating and so different from my own.

    ReplyDelete